Summer is here! The sky is blue, the sun is bright and the days are long. It’s a time to clean out the clutter, clear our heads, and get outside and play. I love few things more than a warm summer night on the patio or a walk on the beach at sunset. Summer is a time to slow down, enjoy time with friends and family, nurture your body and soul, and simplify the world around you.
Here are some ideas to nurture yourself during the summer months:
– Spend time in or near water – nothing can cool the body down like a nice dip in the water. It de-stresses and relaxes your body and improves your sleep pattern.
– Spend time in nature – science has proven that spending time in green space can have great health benefits. It improves your overall health and longevity. So, take some time this summer and do some earthing and forest bathing.
– Eat lots of fresh colorful vegetables preferably raw and from the farmers market. Summertime is perfect for light and colorful raw salads, green juices, and chilled soups. Check out a farmers market near you, try out a new recipe, and get inspired.
– Walk, hike, explore – it’s not just about the exercise. It’s also about getting some fresh air, moving the stagnant energy out of the body and sweating.
– Play – we don’t stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing! Not only playing helps reduce stress, improve sleep, and brain function, but it also stimulates the mind and boosts creativity.
– Make art – well all this energy and creativity that you’ve cultivated by walking, exploring, playing, etc. has to go somewhere! Making art can improve your physical and mental health, help you deal with trauma and boost your immune system.
– Make love – Long summer days make it perfect for making love. Making love (AKA sex) boosts your immune system, makes you look younger and live longer. It can also banish depression, improve self-esteem and help you sleep better. Need we say more?
– Dance – because no matter what’s going in your life, dancing can make it better! Dance to one song every day and watch how your life changes.
– Sleep – days are long which makes them perfect for a short nap in the afternoon.
– Slow down and practice mindfulness– just a few mindful minutes a day can lead to a better mood, equanimity, resilience, body image and an increased ability to feel empathy and compassion for ourselves and others.
– Drink lots of water – water is essential for all bodily functions. It also boosts skin health and beauty. We lose more water during the warm summer months so it is important that we increase our water intake.
Summer Skincare Tips:
– Switch out thicker and more hydrating products for more lightweight, non-greasy options.
– Exfoliate more often to get rid of the dead skin cells.
– Use a cleanser high in antioxidants to calm and soothe the skin.
– Apply SPF 40 sunscreen 20 minutes before going out in the sun – apply enough and reapply every 2 hours.
– Treat sun-damaged skin immediately with organic Aloe Vera gel.
– Use a vitamin C serum.
– Cool off with a hydrating face mist that contains a strong humectant such as Hyaluronic Acid
– Take cooler showers.
– Don’t forget about the rest of your body. Hydrate and moisturize often.
– Apply Smooth Feetto ensure that your feet are beach and sandal ready.
Have a healthy and happy summer!
“it’s a smile, it’s a kiss, it’s a sip of wine … it’s summertime!”
― Kenny Chesney