When we founded Legendary Apothecary, we had one goal in mind: we wanted to build a brand that treated everyone and everything it touched, with KINDness. We wanted it to be KIND to Humans, KIND to Animals & KIND to Mother Earth.
Why KIND to Animals?
Because … ‘Animals are not ours to experiment on, eat, wear, use for entertainment or abuse in any other way.’ Peta.
In order to be KIND to Animals, we decided to be both Veganand Cruelty-free.
Cruelty-free means that the product (and its ingredients) was developed and produced without any animal tests.
Vegan means that in addition to never being tested on animals, the product does not include any animal-derived ingredients.
The best part is that this was an easy decision to make and an easy goal to achieve. Here’s why:
- Animal testing is cruel, unnecessary and inaccurate. These animals (lab animals, bunnies, monkeys, dogs and cats) are essentially born to live a life of fear, pain and suffering.
- There are thousands of existing ingredients with a history of safe use, which allow more than 750 North American companies to create innovative products without the need for new animal testing.
- For new ingredients, non-animal safety tests are often cheaper, faster and more relevant to humans, and therefore more reliable predictors of safety.
- There are nearly 50 non-animal tests that have been validated for use, with many more in development. These tests are faster, better and smarter. And frankly, if a product is made with truly natural ingredients, it can just be tested on humans without any major concerns.
- Cruelty-free Cosmetics tend to be less toxic and much cleaner and safer.
It’s important to know that a lot of countries around the globe have recently banned or passed laws to limit animal testing. European Union banned animal testing in 2013. Many other countries have followed since. United States is yet to ban animal testing!
In the United States, a large percentage of the animals used in such testing (such as laboratory-bred rats and mice) are not counted in official statistics and receive no protection under the Animal Welfare Act.
We are so proud that our home state of California banned the sale of cosmetic products that have been tested on animals,in 2018.
We are committed to working with organizations such as Leaping Bunny, Peta, The Humane Society and Last Chance For Animals to help get laws passed in the United States.
We also made the decision to not buy from or sell to China. The Chinese government conducts mandatory animal tests on all cosmetic products imported into the country. The government may also conduct animal tests on items pulled from store shelves. Therefore, even if a cosmetics company does not test their products or ingredients on animals, if they sell their products in China they cannot be considered cruelty-free. It is worth mentioning that China has recently made some progress on this issue but they still have a long way to go.
Our first product, Smooth Feet is a century-old recipe that was handed down to me by my grandmother. It has been tested on my family for over four generations. When we were working on the formula, we made sure that we used only pure, organic and plant-based ingredients that were both vegan& cruelty-
We know there is an abundance of plants that are full of oxygen, nutrients and above all else, a life force that we can pull from to make products that work effectively without harming anyone or anything in the process. It is not necessary for any animal to suffer for us to have great skin!
I invite you to check out the below links to learn more about animal testing.